Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
- This position is designed for the new graduate nurse who demonstrates commitment to the vision and mission of SCCA and to the care of cancer patients and their families. In addition, selects ambulatory oncology nursing as their primary clinical nursing practice.
- The resident nurse will work closely with a trained preceptor and master skills necessary to provide safe and accurate patient care which include, but not limited to, assessment, treatment administration and evaluation of patient response to treatment. Clinical practice as well as patient/caregiver education will be paramount to this role.
- Primary focus during the residency program is to learn about the nursing care of oncology, immunotherapy and bone marrow transplant patients. Training will encompass the understanding of the various oncology diagnosis and treatments plan/protocols, competency in chemotherapy, blood products and other prescribed supportive treatments administration, and evaluation of patient's response to treatment. In addition, in depth understanding of patient and family psych-social needs and the various stages of grief and death and dying will be provided.
This posting is for Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center's spring cohort for our new graduate residency program, which will start on Monday, May 22nd. We are recruiting for Infusion roles, BMT Team nurse role, and Clinical Nurse Coordinator roles in the Women's Health and Hematology & Hematologic Malignancies department.
Nurse candidates should have their active Washington RN license by May 5th, with a final deadline of May 15th by 12pm PST.
- Performs comprehensive nursing assessment of oncology, immunotherapy and bone marrow transplant patients; this assessment includes review of relevant lab studies, review of systems, assessment of pain, distress and other symptoms.
- Ability to operate, or learn to operate, unit-specific processes and equipment as outlined in defined clinical practice standards and competencies.
- Develop breadth of ability to work with a wide range of staff as part of an interdisciplinary team including physicians, nurses, and ancillary staff.
- Provide care adapted to individual patient needs based on SCCA policies/procedures and guidelines, under direct observation of preceptors until competency achieved.
- Participate in patient care, consult and collaborate with physicians and other healthcare team members, and implement clinical practice according to institutional standards.
- Engage in formal offerings and educational activities during residency that support the clinical functions and duties pertinent to the clinical area in which training is occurring. (i.e. infusion suites, transplant clinics, other clinical care delivery sites within the main campus ambulatory clinic and community sites).
- Demonstrate steady progress throughout the residency program and meet milestones and competencies as designed per orientation plan.
- Submit weekly self-reflections and participate in the learning discussions.
- Maintain open communication with supervisor and preceptors regarding challenges or concerns during the residency program.
- Associate Degree in Nursing from an accredited school
- Current Washington State Registered Nurse license
- WA State Nursing License (active)
- Current BLS AHA Health Provider Card (or equivalent course, such as by the American Red Cross) and renewal required every two years
- Completed nursing program within 6-12 months
- Knowledge of human growth and development to modify services to the age and development stage of the patient and awareness of the physical emotional spiritual and social domains of care delivery.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of patient privacy rights.
- Current Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support certification
- Bachelor's in Science Degree in Nursing from an accredited school
- Experience in Oncology, bone marrow transplant during student practicum
This position is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. As such, full COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment, without exception. Booster doses are strongly recommended but not required. If declining a booster, completion of the COVID-19 Vaccination Status Form Questionnaire and COVID-19 Booster Declination Training is required. Because of our immunocompromised patient population, there are no medical or religious accommodations available for any employee who is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. Only employees whose positions are fully remote, who are not patient facing and/or require no access to clinical facilities, may apply for medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination before their first day of employment.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
The hourly pay range for this position is from $38.67 to $73.48 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications. Registered Nurses are paid on a step-scale basis and are also eligible for shift differentials and other pay premiums such as advanced degree, preceptor and certification.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees a comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance your health, well-being, and financial security. Benefits include medical/vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, life, disability, retirement, family life support, employee assistance program, onsite health clinic, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation (12-22 days per year), paid sick leave (12-25 days per year), paid holidays (13 days per year), paid parental leave (up to 4 weeks), and partially paid sabbatical leave (up to 6 months).
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.