Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington. With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality. At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion. The Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
assists in the delivery of patient care under the direction and supervision of the site supervisor/manager. The LPN contributes to the assessment of a patient's care, assists in the development of a plan of care, implements aspects of care as directed, and participates in evaluating care.
- Performs limited assessment of patients
- Records and reports patient's condition and reaction to drugs and treatments to the RN and/or MD/ARN
- Administers medications, injections and vaccines as ordered by a licensed provider and within LPN scope of practice and Fred Hutch policy
- Educates patients, families, and caregivers, answers their questions, and appropriately refers their clinical care questions to the clinical care team
- * Additionally, a LPN may:
- Perform basic phlebotomy, IV insertion, accessing central venous catheters, and basic management of central venous catheter dressings IAW Fred Hutch Policies and Procedures
- Perform basic management and accessing port-a-cath (implanted port) in accordance with established Fred Hutch Policies and Procedures
- Collects, handles, and labels specimens in accordance with established Fred Hutch Policies and Procedures
- Be a team member in the Code Response Team.
Required for this job:
- Ability to observe and record patient's symptoms or signs of distress and respond appropriately to those symptoms
- Ability to organize and manage time and tasks independently
- Ability to communicate verbally in person, on the phone, and in writing in a clear, concise and professional manner
- Proficient with email software systems
- Ability to work in a high pressure, time-sensitive, and complex health care environment
- Ability to practice the critical thinking skills of analyzing, applying standards, discriminating, information seeking, logical reasoning, predicting, and transforming knowledge
Preferred for this job
- Basic understanding of proper labeling and management of specimens
- One year or greater of LPN practice in an oncology and/or ambulatory setting preferred.
- Experience with Electronic Medical Records preferred.
- Degree or program that provides the eligibility to attain certification and/or licensure.
LICENSES/ CERTIFICATIONS/ REGISTRATIONS
Current Washington State nursing license
Current BLS AHA Health Provider Card (or equivalent course, such as by the American Red Cross) and renewal required every two years
This position is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. As such, full COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment, without exception. Booster doses are strongly recommended but not required. If declining a booster, completion of the COVID-19 Vaccination Status Form Questionnaire and COVID-19 Booster Declination Training is required. Because of our immunocompromised patient population, there are no medical or religious accommodations available for any employee who is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. Only employees whose positions are fully remote, who are not patient facing and/or require no access to clinical facilities, may apply for medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination before their first day of employment. A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists
The hourly pay range for this position is from $28.89 to $41.14 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees a comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance your health, well-being, and financial security. Benefits include medical/vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, life, disability, retirement, family life support, employee assistance program, onsite health clinic, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation (12-22 days per year), paid sick leave (12-25 days per year), paid holidays (13 days per year), paid parental leave (up to 4 weeks), and partially paid sabbatical leave (up to 6 months).
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.