Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Admin / Clerical
Nemours is seeking an MA to join our team in Philadelphia, PA
Sign on bonus. $3000. External candidates only.
Serve as liaison between the patient and the physician and is responsible for coordinating patient flow in the ambulatory setting by providing assistance in clinical data collection for patient intake, preparing for the provider visit and assisting the provider during basic procedures. Provide service excellence to each patient and family by performing and completing designated business processes associated with an outpatient visit. At each outpatient visit, complete processes in an efficient fashion, ensuring that the patient and family are prepared for their outpatient appointment in a timely manner. Also, ensure that all demographic and financial information is accurately verified in advance of the patient visit, and monitor the waiting room and work environment to ensure patient safety and high service levels.
Participate in Nemours programs for continuous quality, performance, and service improvement and work with department management to improve the services provided, through a team-based approach.
- High School Diploma
- Successful completion of an accredited Medical Assistant Program or certification as a medical assistant through an alternate pathway
- Current American Heart Associations BLS certification
- Preferred Medical Assistant Certification: acceptable certifications are Certified Medical Assistant (CMA), Registered Medical Assistant (RMA), National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) and Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA).
- 1-3 years of job related experience
Greets patients and families at the clinical setting according to Nemours Standards of Behavior. Verifies patient identity using two patient identifiers (name and date of birth). Prepares exam rooms, clinic equipment and computer technology by maintaining inventory and supplies for the outpatient visit. Rooms patient ensuring appropriate documents are with the patient, including required diagnostic reports. Receive, unpack, store, inventory, transport non-controlled substance medications. Performs clinical duties to support the outpatient visit to include, but not limited to the following:
- Obtain and document height, weight, head circumference and vital signs
- Documents reason for visit, chief complaint and initiates orders defined by the use of smart sets as appropriate for scope of service and Nemours' protocol.
- Performs phlebotomy to obtain blood specimens. Transcribe, collect, label and arrange for transportation of specimens.
- Assist with patient examination/treatment.
- Perform and document point of care testing.
- Administers and documents vaccines and approved medications as defined by policy as ordered.
- Operate required medical equipment.
- Accepts delegated tasks from nursing colleagues within their scope of service to assist in the flow of patient care.
Preforms tasks associated with Nemours' outpatient business front desk functions to include but not limited to:
- Make confirmation calls that are not completed by Televox to ensure all visits are in "confirmed" status prior to visit or per Department protocol.
- Confirm authorization and/or collect referrals for the days' visit. Notify Pre-registration and Authorization Department of visits scheduled the same day, as necessary. Fax hard copy referrals to the PRAG department within 24 hours of receipt.
- At the time of patient check-in, while maintaining patient confidentiality and HIPAA requirements:
- Confirm all patient personal demographic information
- Confirm patient identification with two identifiers
- Confirm legal guardianship
- Confirm referral information for patient visit, if applicable
- Prepare, completed and/or collect consents and all other required documents
- Scan insurance cards and other important documents
- Collect and post co-pays and past due balances
- Achieve Registration Accuracy of at least 95%
- Schedule follow-up appointments utilizing iGuide to determine participation, if appropriate.
Throughout shift, regularly communicate with clinical staffing the assigned work area regarding the status of waiting patients, particularly those who have been waiting more than ten minutes. Communicate with waiting patients/families to ensure they have status updated on their appointment. Reconcile payment collections accurately at the end of each shift, as per Cash Collections Policy, and completed End of Day (EOD) Reports including DCRF and LDCRS. Complete assigned work queues daily. Maintain inventory of clerical supplies and ensure the work environment and outpatient waiting room is in an orderly and clean condition to ensure patient safety and security. Work with families to facilitate Nemours App interaction by providing activation codes and assisting in the sign-up process. Maintain computer and electronic system competency including but not limited to processes for: scheduling, appointment cancellations and order entry for clinical system, use of iGuide, EOD status changes, work queue processing, linking referrals, posting "other" payments, use of scanner device and electronic insurance verifications.